Drilling waste treatment of pit Less Mud system, is a very important thing that is required to maintain is a proper integration between the drilling waste management system and solid maintaining process.
Oil and gas drilling is one of the most prolific business now a days. A very complex mechanism is used to drill oil and gas from the mine. A very common equipment that is seen in oil and gas drilling area is a shale shaker.
There are two basic approaches of drilling using shale shakers .
The first one is the solid control system which is very popular for drilling now a days.
The second approach is the pit less mud system for drilling. Today the focus will be given on the pit less mud system for drilling.
What is pit less mud system for drilling: The pit less mud system for drilling is basically a process in which no pit is dug on the surface while for collecting cuttings from drilling.
When the drilling waste cuttings are taken out from shell shaker, two particular equipments named G force drying shaker and vertical cutting dryer are used to extract the liquid and to make the cuttings drier. After that, the dry cuttings are transported from the shale shaker unit to the disposal unit. In that stage, the waste cuttings can be disposed on the surface without digging any pit. In many oil and gas drilling sites, a more environment friendly approach is taken to dispose drilling waste cuttings .
In that case, the drilling waste cuttings are taken to another unit for the final processing. In this unit, the waste cuttings are processed via solidification process. Waste cuttings can also be processed by thermal desorption machine. Thus, the drilling waste cuttings become contamination free and environment friendly. Then, the waste cuttings can be disposed without any fear.
Drilling waste management companies – Kosun offer Oil and Gas handbook for gives a set of rules that must be followed to manage Drilling waste. It is available on requesting Oil and Gas Commission (OGC).
Drilling waste management companies told you that, it is important to first separate the mixture of solid and the drilling fluids. The drilling fluid that is obtained can be reused. The solids that are obtained must be either disposed of in an eco-friendly manner or can be used in some particular places.
Some the standard rules that must be adopted to minimize waste are:
1] Drilling Waste Containment:
• The waste obtained from drilling must be properly contained either in a sump (earthen hole) or good quality tanks.
• There must be proper record of how the drilling waste is stored and how is it disposed.
• It must not be mixed with other wastes.
2] Suitable Disposal Sites:
• The site where the waste is doing to be disposed must suitable and must not cause pollution.
• The suitability of the sites is soil is assessed and its salinity is measured.
• Any toxic waste cannot be disposed. These types of wastes needs to be treated.
• There are many reasons that can make the waste toxic, like, corrosion inhibitors, emulsifiers, lubricants, de foaming agents and even some type of bacteria.
3] Disposal Methods:
• There are many ways of disposing the waste of different kind.
• For water based mud systems, there are disposal options such as on- site disposal options and off-site disposal options.
4] Wastes from pipelines:
• When drilling a pipeline for fresh water or drilling a freshwater well, the drilling waste that is obtained here can be managed in many ways like, storage pits where pits are formed in soils and other off-site disposal options such as land spraying and land spraying while drilling.